Do you need to clean your home air ducts after a home renovation? It’s one of the most important questions that we’re asked. Some people think covering the vents is good enough, or that a little dust will eventually clear itself out of the HVAC system.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. Even when you cover the vents in your home and take other preventative measures to limit potential dust, the many fine particles that accumulate will accumulate in your vents. Small particles of drywall, fiberglass, sawdust and other products can get into the smallest spaces and build up, causing problems for those who suffer from respiratory issues, including asthma and allergies.
Construction dust in HVAC systems can cause a host of expensive problems for your home as well, including a dirty cooling/evaporator coil, icing of the coils, blower issues, and general reduced air flow.
Cleaning your ducts after your home renovation is one of the best ways to protect your HVAC.
How to Protect Your HVAC During Your Home Reno
Take the following steps to help keep your HVAC equipment safe from the hazards of construction dust and debris:
- Discuss the project work ahead of time with your contractor to get a clear idea of the major common areas that might be affected by tracking dust through your home. This is also a good time to discuss what preventative measures the contractor will take to help contain the mess (such as plastic tarps).
- Ask your contractor if prep work or other major work can be done outside, which will prevent large debris or clouds of dust from filling your living space.
- If possible, shut down your HVAC system while the bulk of work is being done. This will keep air flow minimal and cut down on the potential of dust being sucked into the ducts. It will also place less stress on your system and reduce the potential of damage to the system’s parts, such as the blower motor bearings.
- Block off vents and close doors to other rooms to minimize dust from traveling to other areas of the house.
- Monitor your HVAC filter and plan to clean it more regularly. A dirty filter can cause further issues and simply replacing the filter more often can help ensure the air stays cleaner throughout the project and afterward.
Important Benefits of Duct Cleaning
A duct cleaning service will ensure that large debris from every day construction as well as small particles are safely removed from your ducts. The key benefits of cleaning your ducts include:
- Removing harmful dust, chemicals and other contaminants that if left to build up can cause issues to the HVAC system and components, as well as to the health of those who live in the home
- Improved indoor air quality. It goes without saying that you’ll notice a huge difference in clean air and the airflow in your home when your ducts are clean.
- Overall energy and cost savings. When your system is operating efficiently, your HVAC requires less energy to maintain set temperatures and can help you save more money in the long run.
Call a professional if you’re thinking of starting a renovation project or you’re concerned that you may have contaminated ducts from a recent project. Contact us today with your questions or to schedule a duct cleaning.