Keep cool and keep more money where it belongs – in your pocket – with these easy-to-follow money-saving tips for your AC.
Check for Drafts
In older homes, the cool air from your home cooling system can seep outside. Usually, this occurs in the following places:
- Worn-out door seals.
- Poor window seals.
- Improperly insulated attic.
- Tiny cracks here and there.
Before the onset of summer, you may wish to book a home energy audit. A certified inspector can locate any leaks and make recommendations on how to repair them.
Not keen on that idea? You can always perform a self-audit throughout your house.
Stand outside your home and run your hand along any window and doors you can access.
Feel any cold air escaping? Improve the insulation around those areas with caulking and weather-stripping.
Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat
Manual or programmable thermostats found in many Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Cambridge homes have their limitations.
- Manual thermostats stay at the same temperature until you physically change it. Set at 25°C, keep it at 25°C.
- Programmable thermostats are complicated to use and not always reliable. In fact, almost 90% of homeowners don’t actually program their thermostats.
As your family comes and goes, a smart thermostat learns when the house is occupied and when it’s not.
Eventually, it’ll know:
- The right times to adjust the temperature (when everyone’s home for dinner)
- When to go into money-saving and energy-saving mode (when everyone’s at work or school).
Additionally, smart thermostats are Wi-Fi enabled.
That means you can adjust the temperature – anytime, anywhere, just by using an app on your smartphone.
Get it Serviced
When was the last time you had air conditioner maintenance performed?
Just like furnace maintenance for winter, summer AC care keeps your unit running smoothly and reliably all season long.
The better it runs, the less money you’ll spend to use it.
Before the blazing heat arrives in full force, your air conditioner should have the following work done to it:
- Seasonal tune-up.
- Inspection and replacement of old/worn out parts.
- Cleaning and adjustment of key components.
Here’s another way to look at it. Would you rather:
- Schedule proactive service before summer hits?
- Skip maintenance and pay for a potentially expensive air conditioner repair down the line?
You’ll take the first option every single time. Schedule your AC maintenance today!
5 More Things You Can Do
By making some simple changes around the house, you’ll get more from your air conditioner for less (without sacrificing comfort).
1. Close Blinds & Curtains Whenever You Leave the House
Less heat entering the house via windows means your AC uses less energy to cool the same space.
2. Set Your Ceiling Fans to Run Counter-Clockwise
Blades that run counter-clockwise direct air downward (where you are). This doesn’t cool down the room, but rather, it cools you.
3. Cook Outdoors When You Can
Using the stove and oven generates extra heat. Whenever possible, fire up the BBQ, cook outdoors, and avoid creating more indoor heat.
4. Place Your Thermostat in the Right Location
Your thermostat should be away from a large window, and it should be in a room which gets used often. Ideally, it should be placed on an interior wall too.
5. Get Your Ducts Cleaned
Save Money on Your Air Conditioner With Guelph ClimateCare
The last thing you want is to feel like you need to decide between running your AC or saving money this summer. By following the tips in this blog, you won’t have to choose. You can enjoy both. Don’t wait until the first day of summer, though.